Often we common to set new goals, and try new start new habits.
Having trouble or Not reaching those Yoga or lifestyle goals?
Here are some proven techniques for achieving goals
1. Share your goal, recruit a buddy and support each other weekly or more often. Togetherness is why yoga classes, are a great place to start and continue, because you are not isolated. To set goals in isolation, sabotages us from the start.
2. Embrace yoga as a non-competitive process! The wiser self knows that health, energy and peace come from mindfulness in movement over time. The wiser self knows that, like life itself, yoga is a process, a journey.
3. Let go of requirements and expectations such as... "I have to be good immediately" "I have to already be flexible to start" and "I should be able to do this or that...".
4. Let go of excuses such as -
“I’m not flexible”--- yoga helps you become more flexible over time!
“I’m out of shape-“-- yoga helps you get in shape, and if you can breathe, you can do yoga!
“I’m too overweight” regular yoga helps with weight loss!, so love yourself now as you are and begin.
“I’m too old”--- You are never too old to reap the benefits of yoga!
“I don’t have the energy”- Yoga gives you energy! You may feel tired after classes or practice in the beginning but stick with it and you will begin to have more energy.
" I have this condition or injury.." You are more than your conditions and injuries. Talk with instructor, focus on all that you can do and grow your practice from there!
“I tried it once ….” Try a different class or teacher give it a few weeks or months before giving up.– look for a class that is right for you - e.g. if your over 50 look for a teacher over 50, if your beginning go to beginner classes!
Excuses for not getting to yoga are actually the true reasons to start and continue growing your yoga practice!
For persons who have suffered accident injury or severe illness, be smart: choose to do therapeutic ,senior, or gentle yoga to start. A daily walking program can be an excellent starting point. If you want success, do not be secretive or isolated in whatever you chose. You do not have to do it alone.
Some motivating facts... print post these, share them with your buddy.
- To avoid movement is choosing to age faster, is limiting your future joy in: dancing, playing with children, easily getting up from and down to the ground, or picnicking in the grass on a sunny day.
- The less you move the less energy you have, the less you move the less you are able to move and the more likely you are to become injured when you do move.
- The more strength and flexibility you have the less likely you will be injured and the faster you heal and recover from injury. Moving mindfully after injury is the best way to heal and regain flexibility.
REMEMBER to tune-in and honor your own limits- where you are at, today.REMEMBER you are more than a body, that the mind, spirit and emotions all are involved. Yoga is more about training the mind than anything else.
The physical moves or postures are just the tip of the iceberg, what is underneath is: discipline, practice, change of attitudes, watching the mind, breath, concentration, meditation.
Consider having an individual session to set and begin your next goal- reach higher!